Skip to main content

Ice Breaker



When I was in college, I did a substantial amount of writing.  No, not for my profs, though, yes, that as well.  I mean, my own writing.  I explored the first experiences of dealing with some of life's most difficult blows.  In college, I was married, and divorced, and diagnosed with a learning "disability" that challenged my succeeding at earning my engineering degree.  I also lost a friend while in college, had a house fire, and had to put my 14 year old dog to sleep.  I did succeed in graduating, I'm proud to say.  This was all in the space of five and one half years.

I would really like to share some of my short stories on this blog, as most have not seen the light of day.  Some, however, are too... risque' I would say.  I am not yet prepared to "release the hounds" of my darker side.  My very dear friend Karen and her alter ego, Layla Wolfe would laugh heartily to think that I was blushing on my own writings.  Still...

My search continues for some excerpts from my (several) started but not finished books, and some short stories that are blog-worthy.  Here is a short little ditty that is possibly that.  Take note; it was written when the internet was in its infancy.  😊


Ice Breaker


Leah met Kim through a personals ad.  She had been playing the odds for a number of years, and had nearly given up on the idea of meeting--through this media, at least--someone who could arouse her sleeping heart.  Initially, she and Kim spoke on the phone several times over two or three weeks, then the frequency and duration of their conversations increased.  After three weeks, they finally found a time when both their schedules allowed a free day.

As she strolled into the patio lobby of the sun-filled coffee house where they were to meet for the first time, she spotted him.  He seemed handsome from a distance.   Face to face, she re-evaluated; he was handsome.  She thought of the many phone calls they’d shared and wondered if he was attracted to her.  Leah was accustomed to having men tell her she was beautiful; but it was never the right man.  And, even with the flattery of the others, she still thought of herself as only cute, and certainly sexy to the men who could detect true, flowing, sexuality in a woman, but beautiful?  She sometimes wondered how that was measured.  Leah believed it all came down to chemistry; nothing could proceed if there was no chemistry.  She was sure they had the chemistry they needed intellectually, and she knew she could supply her half of the mix if the physical chemistry was in question, but--what the hell was going through his mind?

Kim seemed so much more shy in person, and Leah felt her own heart tripping over a few beats as their coffee date unfolded before them.  Three mochas and a bagel later, they decided they’d stayed their welcome at the crowded little cafe.  Leah was sad to realize the date might be ending already.  In four years of frequent blind dates, this was the first man she’d met who really seemed like someone she needed to see again.  She realized, in fact, that as he spoke, she was looking at his face and mentally running her fingers over it.  It was the artist in her soul.  She needed to touch everything that fascinated her.  And Kim fascinated her.  She imagined kissing his lips.

“...go for a drive?”  Leah was suddenly aware that he had just suggested that they not end the date so soon.  What had he asked?  She thought that he’d suggested they go for a drive.  It was a beautiful day, they were already at a roadside cafe in the country.  How--why--would she refuse?  She didn’t.

Kim and Leah both sensed the tentativeness with which they were addressing each other, yet, the long silences as they streaked through the April sunshine seemed not uncomfortable.  It was as though they knew that it would be a necessary skill, if they were to become closer and more familiar with each other, to be able to spend comfortable silent time together.  Leah grew more comfortable with the idea that Kim was as interested in her as she was in him.

They stopped at a turnout near a waterfall and hiked into the woods to the foot of the falls.  It was a small tributary which tumbled over the thirty foot drop and the mist was only slight; not such that it soaked them but only enough to cool them as they sat on a large rock next to the stream.  They talked and the conversation meandered as much as the water passing at their feet.  Before they realized it, they’d been sitting for several hours.

As Leah trailed her fingers in the cool water, Kim asked, “Ready to head back?”

With a long but content sigh, she answered, “I suppose it’s just about that time.”  Vaguely, and in the farthest depths of her conscious thoughts, she thought about the water; how cold it was.  Cold, clear, and fresh.  She instinctively knew that it was snow melt running off the Sierras, and that, perhaps only hours before,  it was thousands of tiny ice crystals.

Because their drive had also been long--nearly as long as their rest on the river rock--Leah found herself unable to keep her eyes open as Kim drove them back to their starting point.  He looked over and caught her in one of her eyes-closed moments.  He asked, “Would you like to lay your head on my shoulder?”

She looked at him, and saw the person she had come to know throughout the day, a person--a man--she knew she would like to know much, much, better in the future.  She smiled, and twisted around so she could lay her head against his shoulder.  He rested his hand lightly on her knee.

When they arrived back at the little coffee house, it’s shutters were closed, and the owners were gone for the day.  They sorted out sweaters and other items and transferred hers to her car.  It seemed almost sad to Leah; she didn’t want it to end.  She believed, at least, that she would indeed see Kim again.  That helped keep the moment light.

As she drove home, Leah realized that she was smiling a smile she hadn’t smiled in years; feeling a feeling she hadn’t felt in years.  The last time she’d felt like this after a first date was--well--it was the last time she’d begun to fall in love; nearly eight years ago.  The small chance that she might not see Kim again after such a wonderful day kept tugging at her rational thoughts, so she dug down into her heart to find what was there, instead.

What Leah found was something that put it into the simplest terms: Kim had already helped her gain something she thought she’d lost.  If she never saw him again, she could leave this day in her memory and take with her the realization that love, passion, and romance had not forsaken her, nor she them.  In three weeks of phone conversations, and only a day at her side, Kim had unknowingly helped her find her way back to her own heart.


Ice Breaker
 ©2002, 2018 Nikki (Nicola) Holmes
(originally penned April, 2002)

PS!  Dont forget to share comments, feedback, even criticism.  I relish it!  You can leave it here or, if you're a Facebook friend, you can comment there, too.  There is even a subscribe button on this blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photo: "Nikki & Joy Caroling"

This more recent photo of me with Joy is from the office Christmas photo this past Christmas (2004). We had three dogs total in the picture. I cropped everybody else out so I could get a close up, but this picture was awesome! We were all caroling in front of the court house in Auburn.

New Start

Ok, I'm starting off with light, silly stuff. Or, I did. My first post on this blog was a poem I wrote in 1989, when I'd just met the man who would become my husband. Hah! I've not seen him since 1992, and I had not looked at that poem in years, either, but I do like the poem. Life changed for me recently, for the better. I closed the book on a long, drawn-out struggle with "the ex" as I refer to him, which makes people think we were married, though we never were. We were together for nearly eight years, however. Parting was not a sweet sorrow. It was, in fact, neither sweet, nor a sorrow. I left behind a lot of relationships with both people and animals I loved. Not because I wanted to, but because those were the limitations set forth. All in a day, things were.. over . Believe me, I'd like to rant and rave here about the victimizations he perpetrated. But, I am not going to slouch into that same state in which he exists. I won't. I will say

I will remember

  I will remember you.  All the things that lead us   To that moment in my life That broke old shackles;   That started new patterns; That awoke the sleeping wolf. We do not need promises. Your gift to me was that moment. Your gift to me was  everything that led to that moment. I look at you and feel alive,    In a way I had been dead for years. You show me who you are,   I know this. I know our moment   was just that; a moment. And just as I have left   men with moments In my younger years,   I hold on to ours, now. You unchained the wolf. And she walks free, and proud, and ready. -- Nico Holmes