Skip to main content

Do not labor, this Labor Day

Men eating lunch on a skyscraper, 1932.  Photo by Charles Ebbets

We take this day every year to enjoy a day not toiling, in honor of the American laborer.  In the era of the movement, it was a reflection that the laborer made all things great, or greater, in America.

You might think it was in the time when we were pushing to build after the Great Depression; when corporations rose and became strong through their labor forces; skyscrapers climbed taller than most had ever dreamed by laying on strong laborers in their blue shirts; of the era when banks of PBX boards and women in headphones sat in the back offices of those same corporations directing calls, and taking messages.

Actually, it was first made a holiday in 1894, just a year after the first American gasoline powered automobile was built, and a year before that same car won the first American car race.

I personally try to take this weekend off each year, but, without delving into my business, that is not always as easy as it sounds.  Nonetheless, this year, I managed.  Which was a good thing, after a summer of non-stop work.

Besides taking the weekend off, I do try to take a bit of quiet time to simply reflect on the reason the day (whatever holiday) was set aside.  It's one of the very few actual "legal" federal holidays, and so, my senses are that the day should be noted in more than just a passing appreciation of a day off.

I now work for a company that I founded.  I make the main decisions.  I stand as the final stop for "the buck."  While I am not a 'laborer' per se, I am certainly a model for creation of small business enterprise; for making new space for other 'workers.'  But, I don't take a lot of time to make my contemplation about me, or my life.  Obviously, my filters are influenced by my life, though.

The true 'labor' that comes to my mind are those in orange vests or tan uniforms on the highway; the city flat foot.  But they are only the first that fill my thoughts.  The teachers at their chalkboards (or white boards) who are the shapers of our upcoming generations are often tucked away on this weekend prepping the next Tuesday's lesson, and not, as I, taking the day.

Nurses and others in the medical industry who, like our first responders, can not view any one day as a day off; our soldiers and sailors; each and all of these types of 'labor' are the life blood of our communities and our country.

Certainly, there are few people who haven't at some time, if not much of the time, been a labor contributor to their community or to this country.  So, on reflection, this is a day to celebrate us!  Us, we those people, all of us who do anything to participate in life in this country.  Why not kick off your shoes, pour yourself a beverage, put your favorite food on the barbie, and give yourself a pat on the back.  You deserve it!


PS!  Dont forget to share comments, feedback, even criticism.  I relish it!  You can leave it here or, if you're a Facebook friend, you can comment there, too.  There is even a subscribe button on this blog.


Men eating lunch on a skyscraper, 2011.  Little changes.  (And, yes, it could just have easily been women, but in this photo, it's not).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photo: "Nikki & Joy Caroling"

This more recent photo of me with Joy is from the office Christmas photo this past Christmas (2004). We had three dogs total in the picture. I cropped everybody else out so I could get a close up, but this picture was awesome! We were all caroling in front of the court house in Auburn.

New Start

Ok, I'm starting off with light, silly stuff. Or, I did. My first post on this blog was a poem I wrote in 1989, when I'd just met the man who would become my husband. Hah! I've not seen him since 1992, and I had not looked at that poem in years, either, but I do like the poem. Life changed for me recently, for the better. I closed the book on a long, drawn-out struggle with "the ex" as I refer to him, which makes people think we were married, though we never were. We were together for nearly eight years, however. Parting was not a sweet sorrow. It was, in fact, neither sweet, nor a sorrow. I left behind a lot of relationships with both people and animals I loved. Not because I wanted to, but because those were the limitations set forth. All in a day, things were.. over . Believe me, I'd like to rant and rave here about the victimizations he perpetrated. But, I am not going to slouch into that same state in which he exists. I won't. I will say

I will remember

  I will remember you.  All the things that lead us   To that moment in my life That broke old shackles;   That started new patterns; That awoke the sleeping wolf. We do not need promises. Your gift to me was that moment. Your gift to me was  everything that led to that moment. I look at you and feel alive,    In a way I had been dead for years. You show me who you are,   I know this. I know our moment   was just that; a moment. And just as I have left   men with moments In my younger years,   I hold on to ours, now. You unchained the wolf. And she walks free, and proud, and ready. -- Nico Holmes