Skip to main content

Whitesnake and Starting Over



Here we go again....

The old 1987 Whitesnake song resonates in my brain.  I loved that song, back when.  It made me think of letting go; of walking away from all that wasn't working in life; of freedom.  Have you heard it?  It's really a kinda powerful feeling.

Now, Jeff and I are moving on.  Together.  Not leaving our long-loved home because of discontent per se, but just really because it's stopped fitting us.  I'm sad about that.  It is a special home, and we have been fortunate to enjoy it for a few years.

Off to a project we hope will be the one that we set deep roots upon, and remain in for many years.  We will move to half as many square feet, and only two bedrooms to in which to fit the functions of sleeping and housing guests, execution of ever-shrinking hard office functions, and all our other living in general.

What we gain is outdoor space.  While we have an admirable back yard now, it's still less than a half acre, and we only have room for two cars.  (I can't explain why we have four vehicles, and that's another chat).  Here, Jeff has no room for creating the things that come to him at a whim--which is daily.  His whimsical messes spill over into our other spaces helter skelter, and this new home will give him a place to contain that, and even expand somewhat.

And I... I get... well, I seek serenity.  I seek peace, and simplicity.  My prints will be everywhere on this new place when we are finished, and my intentions are those few things.

Ok, I admit, my prints are on all the homes we renovate.  I am the finishes and style designer on every single home project we have ever created.  We leave our mark here at this home, and we left the last one both changed in the extreme, and preserved faithfully, too.

Some of the other things we look forward to in the new place: my horse, Mystery, can come home.  He's the last of a herd of 25 horses that I owned with a former longtime "partner" when we built an equestrian facility.  Mystery has been with me since he was 9 months old and I bought him at an auction for $150.  He's now 19 years old.  Our chickens, who live in the amazing bear-proof coop here in our current place are going to be able to move with us, and if we want to add to the flock, we can. 
Mystery

The downhill train is our current neighbor.  In our new home  I, we'll be closer to the uphill train.  I'm not sure we actually "look forward" to this, but neither do we feel concern.  The process of renovating the new place may take a few months.  We have a 600 square foot rental lined up.  YIKES!  We will camp, and let the moving company store most everything.

I asked to simplify.  Six hundred square feet is definitely simplifying.  When we move to the new place, it'll feel like a palace!  And, I'm prolly going to need room for a table I can dance on!

Here I go again... [Click here to listen to the Whitesnake song]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photo: "Nikki & Joy Caroling"

This more recent photo of me with Joy is from the office Christmas photo this past Christmas (2004). We had three dogs total in the picture. I cropped everybody else out so I could get a close up, but this picture was awesome! We were all caroling in front of the court house in Auburn.

New Start

Ok, I'm starting off with light, silly stuff. Or, I did. My first post on this blog was a poem I wrote in 1989, when I'd just met the man who would become my husband. Hah! I've not seen him since 1992, and I had not looked at that poem in years, either, but I do like the poem. Life changed for me recently, for the better. I closed the book on a long, drawn-out struggle with "the ex" as I refer to him, which makes people think we were married, though we never were. We were together for nearly eight years, however. Parting was not a sweet sorrow. It was, in fact, neither sweet, nor a sorrow. I left behind a lot of relationships with both people and animals I loved. Not because I wanted to, but because those were the limitations set forth. All in a day, things were.. over . Believe me, I'd like to rant and rave here about the victimizations he perpetrated. But, I am not going to slouch into that same state in which he exists. I won't. I will say

I will remember

  I will remember you.  All the things that lead us   To that moment in my life That broke old shackles;   That started new patterns; That awoke the sleeping wolf. We do not need promises. Your gift to me was that moment. Your gift to me was  everything that led to that moment. I look at you and feel alive,    In a way I had been dead for years. You show me who you are,   I know this. I know our moment   was just that; a moment. And just as I have left   men with moments In my younger years,   I hold on to ours, now. You unchained the wolf. And she walks free, and proud, and ready. -- Nico Holmes