Skip to main content

Cuba, how you love your vintage cars! (Part 4 on Cuba)

Another thing that all Americans seem to envision in conjunction with thoughts of Cuba is the time capsule of old cars that we hear about.  Yes, they are old.  We saw very few recent model cars.  The truly vintage--1950's--cars are mostly all rebuilt, and have been painted very bright colors.  I think Cuban taxi owners have realized how iconic those cars are, almost the entire world over, and so they keep them looking beautiful, and are paid handsomely for a taxi ride in one.  If you jump in any other taxi, it will be a tiny, boxy, also brightly colored car of Russian manufacture.  They look a bit like the 1970's Fiat 4-door cars.  I enjoyed capturing pictures of these cars in the settings that looked also right out of a by-gone era.  One of my favorite is the photo of a vintage American sedan in front of several brightly colored 1940's Art Deco apartment buildings.

Vintage American car in front of 1940's era architecture.
Here are a few of my favorite finds:

Taxis at Revolution Square in Havana, on our first day in Cuba. Here, you can actually see a couple of modern cars in the background; some of the few we noted.  Most were spotted in more affluent neighborhoods and were privately owned.
Parked at Earnest Hemingway's house.
In Trinidad.  The juxtaposition of the 1950's car, and the cobbled streets, and the modern digital image strike me.
And, the little Russian cars.
Of course, the budget cab for around the city of Havana is the human-powered Coco Taxi.  Yup, and they certainly reminded me of a coconut!

Coco Taxis in Revolution Square
Leaving Cuba, what would I bring home?  Mostly, my treasured memories of the people and places.  But, a few things came home with me.  I soooo very much wanted to bring home a box of Cohiba cigars.  We bought them for $2 each at a paladar house we enjoyed in Havana.  Everybody stocked up, and, quite frankly, I've had Cohibas on various occasions over the past 15 years, but these were the best I ever enjoyed.  Come to think of it, I think Jeff may have accidentally forgotten to unload 5 or 6 of them that were in his pocket when we arrived back home.

The US allows its citizens returning from Cuba only to bring items of intellectual or artistic effort.  Items such as books, typical art pieces, and such are a no brainer.  However, very little is mass-produced in Cuba, and of such things, few would fall onto a tourist's list of things to save as a memory there.  So, most items were fair game if one adjusted the frame of reference regarding "artistic effort."  And, we were not closely scrutinized.

I bought a book of short stories by Cuban authors; most were on topics addressing the revolution, and the aftermath of it and its short- and long-term affects on people.  The stories were in Spanish; not really a problem for me.  I read languages better than I speak them, and can read Spanish (and some French and a little Italian) with only moderate effort.  I was interested in the writing style.  It seemed so dramatic, as does much of Cuban culture, to me.   I cherish that there seemed to be so little median emotion.  Drama and flourish and emotion is in all I found there.  Passion.  I wanted to stay longer; to immerse myself in the passion of daily life; to learn to reconnect with the artist in my soul.

Thank you, Cuba.  You are a completely different, beautiful, complex, place and people.  Visiting was a gift I will ever cherish.

Comments

Recent Popular Posts

Asshole in the woodpile

This is not a friendly, emotional, or reflective post. Nope.  This is directed at the ASSHOLE stalking my personal blog while all the while thinking that I am writing for YOU.  Imagine the ego. Since you can no longer leave bile-spewing comments on my blog itself, you are now trying to stalk me from WhatsApp, texting me condescending opinions about my life, which you have no other information about. Get over your infatuation with me, and what I am doing, and how I am enjoying my life.  Go find your own life and happiness, and don't concern yourself with me.  I am happy. And, just to be clear, I have enjoyed a number of men since my marriage ended.  I have fallen in love, and I have never looked back.  It has not been hard to meet men who want me.  I can happily say I am still friends with a number of the men I've recently dated.  They are ALL younger than me, some by quite a bit. Only a NARCISSIST would be concerning themselves with my personal li...

Running before the wind

Ayala Cove, at Angel Island I miss the salt air.  I miss hauling all our duffel bags and crates of picnic supplies and extra clothes across the parking lot; down the gangway.  I remember flip-flopping along rickety, briny smelling docks, knowing where the weak spots were and avoiding them, to our beloved sailboat.  I say, "sailboat," though there were many to love through the years. There was the O'Day, which we sailed for one day only.  The O'Day fell from grace before it could be christened when, on the open ocean, just outside the Santa Cruz harbor, we smacked off a wave that opened a large hidden crack in the hull.  My father, calm as a cucumber even in the face of a nearly three-foot long crack in the hull of the boat, crawled in the open cabin, took a look, and stoically turned for the harbor.  Once the O'Day was returned, my father chose an Aurora, which was a sweet little boat of about 20 feet.  My father liked that he'd found a boat h...

Confidential

  Note: This post was put up at the same time as the one entitled, "Girlfriends Happy Hour."  They are two interesting experiences both on the topic of friendship and trust and connection. Confidential I'm still getting lessons in how to rate relationships. I'm still trusting a relationship to be more of a friendship than it sometimes is. And that's okay. I recognize it as an opportunity for growth and to not only learn from the experience but to learn about myself. It's good to keep discovering things about oneself at every age, I think. Sometimes though what I do is I give a friend or a group of friends a little bit of power in my life by sharing a confidence that I don't share with just everybody. And I did that recently. Not so much as a gesture of friendship but out of a need to unburden a truth that was holding me back in a group of women. I knew that it could be received in so many different ways and I asked their permission before I shared, request...

Farewell Bill Dailey

Bill Dailey, a beloved supporting actor from two shows from the 1960's and 1970's, passed away a few days ago.  He was 91.  I remember him in his roles as both Major Healy from the show "I Dream of Jeannie" and as airline navigator Howard Borden in "The Bob Newhart Show." When a public figure passes, we hear of it, and think back to the things in our own minds or lives that trigger any sort of memory, feeling, recognition, etc.  I find that I feel sad when I hear of one of these public figures passing.  They came into my home nearly every day of my childhood.  They made me laugh, perhaps even inspired me to retell their silliness to friends or at the dinner table. What eventually happens is that as I follow my daydreams back to those childhood moments, I'm back in our play room in our house in Portola Valley.  I'm feeling the rough loops of the budget indoor-outdoor carpet that I'm sure my father chose for that room because it was ...