Skip to main content

Cuba, how I love thee... (Part 1)

Thank you, National Geographic of my childhood, for my crystal-clear memories of engaging, intriguing, "differentness" delivered to me as a young girl in the mid-1960's.  Delivered, I note, by way of the rich beauty and stark reality contained in the photo-essays of your journalists of that era as they scouted out the vast wonders around the globe.

Thank you, for planting in my little-girl recollection the story of Cuba in the 1960's.  Cuba, when all of its pain and its Socialist ideals were new.  When neither the US, nor Cuba, had any idea that the rift between us would span five decades.  Five decades, and counting.

In those times, the magazines showed gritty black and white photos of old men sitting on the front terraces of small stone houses, wearing broad-brimmed hats and clenching fat cigars between their teeth.  Little girls peered from back seats of passing Chevy Bel Aires.  Dogs lounged in dirt roads.

I reflect on my having been intrigued by these stores--most certainly captured initially by the photos--and I wonder at the thought that I read the stories.  I know I mustn't have been more than 10 or 12 years old.  Such large concepts for such a tender age.

And still, I've carried these memorized images of Cuba and its people from those years in my memory all my life.  I've wondered.  Hoped.  Imagined, even.  And then, like a Carribean breeze across a field of manioc, opportunity wafted its way to me.  I received an invitation to visit.

I received something I almost never do.  It was serendipitous.  The alumni association from UC Davis sent me a card inviting me to join a group on an educational tour to Cuba.  Literally, that night, I had sent them a deposit for myself and my husband to secure a spot on the trip.  It wasn't even a decision.  I knew I was meant to take the trip.

Three months later, we boarded the plane that would take us the first leg of the three-leg flight to Havana.  Three take-offs, three landings, and 24 hours later, we were standing on Cuban soil.

In the four years since that trip I've not really written about it, simply because there was so much to experience; to process.  Also, because it was all so meaningful to me that I still struggle to choose which piece to favor with a review of it.  But, last, also because I fear I can not do the experience justice with my words.  It was all incredible.  Every bit of it.  And, if I take a step back and really look at what moved me the most, I would say that the culture and spirit of the people made the most lasting impression upon my heart.

"Your example lives, Your dreams persist"
Cuba does still dream the dreams of Che's revolution.  I think I found that amazing; if that's not faith, what is?

I think that a "typical" American could go to Cuba, and try to just be a tourist.  They would seek out the beaches (which I never saw, even once, on my visit).  They would visit the markets; the galleries; the historic places perhaps.  Only the most inquisitive of our population would likely ever see a bit of the Cuba that our group was shown in the 8 or so days that we were there.

I think of this photo I took just outside Fusterland, in the artist's neighborhood,  as the consummate Cuba tourist photo.

Some of our visits were more mainstream.  The first full day we were there we toured Havana's large cemetery.  Plots there are not kept "forever" by the deceased.  Cuba, being an island, only has so much land available for cemetery space.  Also, being an island made largely of coral, they can obtain marble in abundance.  The historical phases of the cemetery were noteworthy: the art deco and art nouveau sections; the earlier sections where an entire brigade of firefighters were buried after a tragic event; all of these sections were graced with marble monuments which clearly were created by sculptor who rivaled the efforts of Michelangelo.

We also spent a morning at Earnest Hemingway's home.  The Cubans remember "Papa" with great reverence, and his home appears to be absolutely untouched since his death over 50 years ago.  It's not difficult to see why he chose to live in the home.  It affords a simplicity that seems perfectly in balance with its place on the Caribbean island.  The light in the home was magical.  I could almost see the man himself, dining, writing, smoking a cigar.

(Continued in Part 2...)











Comments

Recent Popular Posts

Asshole in the woodpile

This is not a friendly, emotional, or reflective post. Nope.  This is directed at the ASSHOLE stalking my personal blog while all the while thinking that I am writing for YOU.  Imagine the ego. Since you can no longer leave bile-spewing comments on my blog itself, you are now trying to stalk me from WhatsApp, texting me condescending opinions about my life, which you have no other information about. Get over your infatuation with me, and what I am doing, and how I am enjoying my life.  Go find your own life and happiness, and don't concern yourself with me.  I am happy. And, just to be clear, I have enjoyed a number of men since my marriage ended.  I have fallen in love, and I have never looked back.  It has not been hard to meet men who want me.  I can happily say I am still friends with a number of the men I've recently dated.  They are ALL younger than me, some by quite a bit. Only a NARCISSIST would be concerning themselves with my personal li...

Running before the wind

Ayala Cove, at Angel Island I miss the salt air.  I miss hauling all our duffel bags and crates of picnic supplies and extra clothes across the parking lot; down the gangway.  I remember flip-flopping along rickety, briny smelling docks, knowing where the weak spots were and avoiding them, to our beloved sailboat.  I say, "sailboat," though there were many to love through the years. There was the O'Day, which we sailed for one day only.  The O'Day fell from grace before it could be christened when, on the open ocean, just outside the Santa Cruz harbor, we smacked off a wave that opened a large hidden crack in the hull.  My father, calm as a cucumber even in the face of a nearly three-foot long crack in the hull of the boat, crawled in the open cabin, took a look, and stoically turned for the harbor.  Once the O'Day was returned, my father chose an Aurora, which was a sweet little boat of about 20 feet.  My father liked that he'd found a boat h...

Confidential

  Note: This post was put up at the same time as the one entitled, "Girlfriends Happy Hour."  They are two interesting experiences both on the topic of friendship and trust and connection. Confidential I'm still getting lessons in how to rate relationships. I'm still trusting a relationship to be more of a friendship than it sometimes is. And that's okay. I recognize it as an opportunity for growth and to not only learn from the experience but to learn about myself. It's good to keep discovering things about oneself at every age, I think. Sometimes though what I do is I give a friend or a group of friends a little bit of power in my life by sharing a confidence that I don't share with just everybody. And I did that recently. Not so much as a gesture of friendship but out of a need to unburden a truth that was holding me back in a group of women. I knew that it could be received in so many different ways and I asked their permission before I shared, request...

Farewell Bill Dailey

Bill Dailey, a beloved supporting actor from two shows from the 1960's and 1970's, passed away a few days ago.  He was 91.  I remember him in his roles as both Major Healy from the show "I Dream of Jeannie" and as airline navigator Howard Borden in "The Bob Newhart Show." When a public figure passes, we hear of it, and think back to the things in our own minds or lives that trigger any sort of memory, feeling, recognition, etc.  I find that I feel sad when I hear of one of these public figures passing.  They came into my home nearly every day of my childhood.  They made me laugh, perhaps even inspired me to retell their silliness to friends or at the dinner table. What eventually happens is that as I follow my daydreams back to those childhood moments, I'm back in our play room in our house in Portola Valley.  I'm feeling the rough loops of the budget indoor-outdoor carpet that I'm sure my father chose for that room because it was ...