Skip to main content

Cuba, how I love ... how you love your DOGS! (Part 3 on Cuba)

Before I went to Cuba, one thing I worried about was that I would see suffering.  Particularly animals suffering.  In fact, I never saw even one instance of mistreatment or neglect in the entire time we were there.  The first day, walking through Old Havana as a group, I saw a loose dog.  It was friendly with everyone, and yet looked as though it was by itself.  I asked our guide, who had studied in the U.S. and so was fluent in English.  He claimed, "Cuba's dogs belong to everyone, and everyone looks out for them."  I could not get my brain around that.  I feared that he was just trying to paint a rosy picture.  So, I began noting how all the dogs looked, everywhere we went.  Then I began noticing all the horses, and chickens.  Everybody--the creatures--were healthy, albeit certainly not fat.  Well, perhaps there were even some fat dogs.

This little lady was hanging out at a Santeria House that we visited.  She was one of many hairless dogs we spotted!

A place where many dogs seemed to make their home was the home of Earnest Hemingway.  They lounged about on the exterior patio that wrapped around the plantation-style home as though they had just eaten and were taking a siesta.

Dogs asleep on the steps at Earnest Hemingway's home in Havana.

One of our last stops before leaving was the Universidad de Habana -- the University of Havana.  Interestingly, we toured the engineering department and met with an engineering professor.  Like the other places we visited, it was beautifully built, with grand marble buildings and imposing scale, not unlike any university here in the U.S.  I noted a guard working the small quadrangle where our private bus dropped us off, and again, a dog lounging nearby.  The dog appeared to be doing nothing; going no place; and not connected to anybody.  Until the guard walked near.  The dog softly arose and strolled close to the guard.  I even pointed this out to Jeff, because it was so odd (well, we are dog people, and we wondered where the dog lived).

Sleeping dogs at the Universidad de Habana in the quad area in front of the Engineering Department

As the dog approached the guard, he lifted his head, seemingly in recognition.  The guard walked past the dog and appeared not to notice it.  Jeff felt sure there had been a gesture or words quietly to the dog.  Minutes passed, and the dog, clearly not a military or police dog, but really a local mutt, like all we had seen, approached the guard again, and again, no observable communication passed between them, but this time, the dog wagged its tail momentarily.  Then I knew.  This street dog had a person, and that person was the guard.  Clearly, the dog was there for him, in spite of the fact that he could not allow himself to appear to be 'letting his guard down' while on duty.  My heart soared.

The guard and the street dog.  A secret liaison.


(Continued in Part 4 ... )

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photo: "Nikki & Joy Caroling"

This more recent photo of me with Joy is from the office Christmas photo this past Christmas (2004). We had three dogs total in the picture. I cropped everybody else out so I could get a close up, but this picture was awesome! We were all caroling in front of the court house in Auburn.

New Start

Ok, I'm starting off with light, silly stuff. Or, I did. My first post on this blog was a poem I wrote in 1989, when I'd just met the man who would become my husband. Hah! I've not seen him since 1992, and I had not looked at that poem in years, either, but I do like the poem. Life changed for me recently, for the better. I closed the book on a long, drawn-out struggle with "the ex" as I refer to him, which makes people think we were married, though we never were. We were together for nearly eight years, however. Parting was not a sweet sorrow. It was, in fact, neither sweet, nor a sorrow. I left behind a lot of relationships with both people and animals I loved. Not because I wanted to, but because those were the limitations set forth. All in a day, things were.. over . Believe me, I'd like to rant and rave here about the victimizations he perpetrated. But, I am not going to slouch into that same state in which he exists. I won't. I will say

I will remember

  I will remember you.  All the things that lead us   To that moment in my life That broke old shackles;   That started new patterns; That awoke the sleeping wolf. We do not need promises. Your gift to me was that moment. Your gift to me was  everything that led to that moment. I look at you and feel alive,    In a way I had been dead for years. You show me who you are,   I know this. I know our moment   was just that; a moment. And just as I have left   men with moments In my younger years,   I hold on to ours, now. You unchained the wolf. And she walks free, and proud, and ready. -- Nico Holmes